1. Open a text document (such as TextEdit). Then select File > Print
2. In the Print dialog box, select 'Printer Features'
3. The Printer Features dialog box will show several settings related to ink, color, etc.
4. Choose the minimum in each category (i.e. Grayscale, Draft, 150 DPI)
5. In Presets, select Save As.
6. Create a name for your new settings such as 'BLACK CHEAP'.
7. Repeat the above steps to create additional Presets such as CHEAP COLOR.
NOTE: another way to save ink is to switch to Garamond font which uses the least amount of ink (read recent news article about a 14-year old kid's proposal to save federal government $394 million dollars in annual printing costs.
Hammondsport Mac Users Group - Hammondsport, NY 14840 - www.hportmug.com