Use FireWire Target Mode with Two Macs
1. Make sure that the target computer is turned off.
2. If you are using an Apple laptop such as a PowerBook or MacBook as the target computer, plug in its AC power adapter.
3. Use the proper FireWire cable to connect the target computer to a host computer. The host computer can be powered on.
'bilingual' 400/800 cable is available but defaults to lowest rate (400mbps)
Top - FW400 / Bottom -FW800
4. Start up the target computer and immediately press and hold down the ' T ' key until the FireWire icon appears. The hard disk of the target computer should become available to the host computer and will appear on the desktop as below.
5. At this point, the host Mac may be used for many purposes - - -
6. When you are finished, locate the target computer's hard disk icon on the desktop of the host computer and drag it to the Trash or choose Eject from the File menu.
7. Press the target computer's power button to turn it off.
8. Unplug the FireWire cable. Then the target Mac can be booted as normal.
Hammondsport Mac Users Group - Hammondsport, NY 14840 - www.hportmug.com