ATTENDING : Tom B, Gene N, Larry T, John M, Rick W, Al J, Jerry L and Nancy D.
TOPIC : 10 FAVORITE MAC TRICKS
Opening question for discussion:
WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE MAC TRICK THAT YOU USE ALL THE TIME?
1) On iPhone or iPad, tap the SPACEBAR quickly 2X to produce a PERIOD.
2) On iPhone or iPad keyboard, tap the CAP ARROW quickly 2X to LOCK CAPS.
3) CAPTURE any selected section of any screen with COMMAND-SHIFT-4.
4) CAPTURE WINDOW from a live-stream video or slideshow with COMMAND-SHIFT-4-SPACEBAR.
5) Creater FOLDERS in the Bookmark Bar to organize favorite web links - just right-click (or Control-click).
6) QUICK SEARCH for a specific word in any document or website with COMMAND-F.
7) BROADCAST streaming music, internet programs, talk radio or any sound played from your computer to nearby FM radios using a RocketFM (often found on eBay for under $10). Download Mac driver here.
8) When troubleshooting a printer connection, save paper and ink by running a TEST DOT with TextEdit - just type a single period and then print it - paper can be reused.
9) PREVIEW now has a tool to ADJUST SIZE or COLOR of any image file. (Preview>Tools>Adjust size...)
10) BATCH CHANGE titles of photos in iPhoto - go to iPhoto>select images>right-click>Batch change
My MBPro was running very hot while burning DVDs. When finished, the DVD would not eject.
Solution: let MBPro cool off first before ejecting DVD - that seemed to work.
Also try increasing RAM to maximum if possible - buy at Other World Computing, Crucial, etc.
My MBPRO runs hot after upgrading to Sierra - if the Mac is running warm or the fans are blazing away after updating to macOS Sierra, the best thing you can do is simply wait. The vast majority of the time the indexing process simply needs to run and complete, and the Mac will become usable with low fan usage and a cool temperature again. Read more about other Sierra update issues.
How to reset SMC (System Management Controller) - read how
HELPFUL TROUBLESHOOTING APPS
DetectX (free trial - $15 to buy) - Malware Alerts, Virus Phone calls (and other annoyances)
EtreCheck - download from Etresoft (free app) 4.6MB - Snow Leopard to Sierra - Apple support discussion
Beware of E-mail Scam warning that Your 'Apple ID has been terminated' - read more here and here
Oxygen Awareness Month - read more if this concerns you
NEXT MEETING - First Monday of the month - December 5 - 10:30am
Reminder: our www.hportmug.com website can be easily searched for a term, app or name by using the freefind search window next to title
Hammondsport Mac Users Group - Hammondsport, NY 14840 - www.hportmug.com