Re-order APPLE MENU
ITEMS (KK Jul.2003)
Items in the APPLE MENU ITEMS folder are normally presented in alphabetical order.
While Apple does not provide a custom ordering mechanism,
there are several 'lo-tech' methods of achieving the same result ...
1) Each name can be preceded by a number.
03 Alarm Clock
2) Initial items can contain one or more blanks as the initial character of their names.
3) Initial items can contain one or more carriage return characters
as the initial character of their names. To do this ...
1) COPY the icon's name (command-C).
2) PASTE this into a TEXT document (i.e. TeachText).
3) Enter one (or more) carriage return characters prior to the icon name.
4) COPY the blank line(s) and the icon name.
5) PASTE into the icon name in the Apple Menu Items folder.
This method has the advantage of being transparent to the Apple Menu Items list;
you will not see any difference in the names that appear when you click on the
Apple symbol in the menu bar ...